Who would not dream of swimming laps in their own lap pool? In NSW, ACT and throughout Australia, the concept of a backyard lap pool has exploded in popularity. For homeowners in Canberra and the surrounds that want to be able to swim laps in their backyard but don’t have the space for a full-sized pool, a home lap pool is a great choice. We’ll outline all of the important aspects of lap swimming pools, and you can decide whether or not this is the pool style for your needs.
What Are Lap Swimming Pools?
Lap swimming pools are simply pools that feature a narrow design to give you a space to swim laps in. In turn, they help you improve your fitness and health levels. They don’t take up a lot of space in your yard, but they do give you the ability to swim laps in the comfort of your own home.
If you live in a house that has a narrow or long yard that doesn’t have enough space for a traditional pool, you can usually install a lap pool and still have space to manoeuvre around the outside. This means enjoying the best of both worlds, using your outdoor space and getting all the benefits of a pool.
The History of Backyard Lap Pools
The ancient Romans and Greeks had long, narrow pools installed in their gymnasiums to provide a space for water games, military exercises and athletic training. The 1970s brought lap swimming pools up to date with the modern era, and homeowners realised that these options were the perfect solution for people who wanted to experience the luxury of having a pool even if they did not have the space for a traditional one.
There have been a huge number of popularity surges for home lap pools in recent years in ACT and NSW, and it’s not difficult to see why. They can easily boost your home’s value and help you realise your dream of having a pool in a smaller yard. These types of pools also work to create a nice alternative for people who don’t want to have to deal with cleaning and maintaining a full-sized pool.
Common Lap Pool Sizes
Depending on the manufacturer you go with for your lap pool, you can enjoy a large number of size variations. For example, we offer Contemporary custom lengths at Capital Country Pools that can be up to 20 metres long by 4.28 metres wide, and Fastlane custom lengths up to 30 metres long and 2.76 metres wide. We also offer the X-Trainer at 10.2 metres long and 4.2 metres wide for smaller yards. All in all, you get the choice of eight styles and multiple lengths.
No matter which size you choose, your backyard lap pool will be narrower and longer than a traditional pool. These kinds of pool have a rectangular shape and depths that support swimming sessions, as well as customisation options like jets or steps.
Customisation Options for Your Backyard Lap Pool
It’s possible to customise the style and length of your lap swimming pool. Each pool has a ‘shallow end to deep end’ floor design, but they vary in length and size. Swim jets allow you to swim in place to get your daily exercise in. This means you can purchase a smaller backyard lap pool without losing out on the health benefits.
You can customise your Canberra lap swimming pool with different colours. They can be vivid and bright, and you can even create a gorgeous 3D look when the sunlight strikes your pool’s water. There are also in-floor cleaning systems available to help reduce your pool’s maintenance needs.
These systems circulate your pool water to keep it in constant motion, preventing any stagnant spots from appearing. This is important because algae and bacteria thrive in these spots. A circulation system can also reduce your chemical usage.
Lap Pool Costs
If you buy a fibreglass lap pool, you’ll get an excellent value-for money option that allows you to exercise in your own backyard. The standard cost for a fibreglass lap pool can range from $45,000 to $75,000, and the price depends on the add-ons you choose. If you want something more complex like an individualised lap pool that connects two or more standard pools, it’ll cost between $95,000 to $130,000.
When you budget for your lap pool, make sure you take safety features like fences and gates into consideration, as well as access points, landscaping and decking. These factors will increase the overall price significantly, especially if they result in a longer installation process.
The Benefits of Swimming Laps
Swimming laps in your own backyard lap pool provides a number of great benefits, and this is why homeowners in ACT and NSW have been so happy to embrace this pool trend. We’ve picked out the biggest health benefits that come with swimming laps and outlined them for you below.
- Low-Impact Exercise – Swimming laps is a very low-impact form of exercise that can help you get your heart pumping without putting any additional strain on your joints or body. For people recovering from an injury or illness, this is a safe way to exercise and to slowly build your strength back up.
- Weight Loss – You can burn a lot of calories by swimming laps in your backyard. Swimming also works out just about every system you have to help you maximise your weight loss by burning hundreds of calories when you exercise.
- Tone Muscles – When you pull yourself through the water, you use groups of muscles that are often neglected in day to day life. The more you swim, the more you’ll strengthen and tone up these muscle groups. In turn, this can help you build muscle and reduce your body fat ratio at the same time.
- Alleviates Stress – Swimming laps is a great way to concentrate on your technique and get your mind of whatever you’re worrying or stressing out about. You can relax as you swim and get out of the pool feeling better than you did when you got in.
- Improves Balance – Swimming helps you to build up your core strength. This can improve your balance and posture when you are out of the pool.
- Builds Endurance – Swimming laps is hard work, and so it will help you to build endurance. This means better cardiovascular fitness levels and a generally healthier lifestyle.
Contact Capital Country Pools Today!
If you’d like to know more about lap swimming pools for your home in ACT or NSW, contact us. Our friendly and dedicated team is ready to answer your questions and walk you through your options to ensure you get the best lap pool to suit your needs. You can also drop by our showroom.